Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Doldrums at Bay

I don't know how many of you listen to music via Pandora.com or via the Pandora iPhone application, but I think it's the best thing since [insert really awesome thing here].

There are lots of random and strange things about me that you may notice as I contribute more entries, but one of those of things is that I will probably mention something being "the best thing since..." on more than one occasion. This will no doubt happen until something else is also "the best thing since..." whatever it was that was formerly known as "the best thing since..."

Confused yet?

Yeah, me too.

These things happen.

Best to get used to it sooner rather than later, I tend to think.

In any case, the only reason I mention Pandora is because I'm listening to it as I type this.

Music makes me happy. It helps me tune out distractions, helps to alleviate the doldrums that appear at various random moments during the day, and it generally helps me manage through the typical, garden variety boredom issues; at the very least, music helps keep boredom to a tolerable level.

If you work a 9 to 5 office job, or some similar day shift job, perhaps you know what I mean.

Not that I'm complaining, because I'm quite aware that I really don't have it so bad; at least not relative to many other people these days.

But back to awesome things, yes?

Here's something else I think is awesome:



I took this photo close to the fountain in front of The Plaza Hotel in NYC. There's something that I love about capturing all these colorful flowers among the tall buildings in the center of Manhattan's concrete jungle.

In my mind, they balance the boldness and enormity of the city with little glimpses of softness and beauty. I think the trees and flowers add as much life to the city as anything else does.

I hope you like the photo too.

2 comments: