Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Buzzkill Suburbia


I live in a place called Davie, which I guess is considered a suburb of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. I've lived here most of my life, in various neighborhoods throughout the years.

And when you live in a place like this for most of your life, you get used to the type of energy that exists within the suburban landscape. The stillness, or detached energy of these places doesn't really stand out if it's all you've known your whole life.

Until...

Until you go to a big city metropolis like NYC, Chicago, or even Boston (which in addition to NYC, I also love dearly).

For me, nothing can compare to the energy that oozes off the streets of these cities and into your senses. Just being there is an invigorating experience to me. In fact, I'd say it's even inspiring.

On my first trip to NYC as an adult, back in 2005, I called a friend to tell him about some of the adventures I'd gotten into while I was there. I was sitting at what I think was some sort of hybrid Subway/Dunkin Donuts shop, somewhere in mid-town around 33rd Street & Fifth when I made the call:
"What's it like up there?" he asked (after the obligatory greetings).

I replied, "Dude, this place is awesome! It just feels so alive here. I feel so alive! I've been here one day and it feels like home."

As if that weren't enough, I then proceeded to add, "Plus, it feels as if the ratio of women to men here is like 4 to 1!"

That finally got a rise out of him, and he replied, "No! Get the fuck outta here! I'm coming with you next time you lucky bastard!"


I was way too excited and had too much walking planned to talk for very long, so I kept the conversation short, and resumed eating my breakfast.

I left a few minutes later, and soon realized that every time I stepped out of any building...BAM! -- the city's vibe just hit me as if I drank 2 triple espressos, on top of my body giving me a healthy jolt of adrenalin to boot -- and they had all just kicked in at the same time.

NYC is completely alive with energy, adventure, conversation, romance, drama, comedy -- everything that makes life interesting. All in one shot. It was like nothing I had ever experienced before.

Then I came home.

Cue the sound of crickets. Literally.

Now, in my daily life, when I walk out of my apartment and into the parking lot...

Nothing.

I usually see no one from the time I walk out my door to the moment I reach the parking lot. There aren't a lot of cars driving by, almost never any people, and there's usually no movement at all. On some days, there isn't even any wind, so even the trees are dead still.

Coming home from NYC, or even Boston is like going from an utterly euphoric high to suddenly being completely miserable in less than 2 hours. It's the worst kind of buzzkill.

And now, every day as I walk out of my apartment and to my car...I feel that buzzkill all over again.

Meh.

Aside from the beach, Florida is so lame to me. And the people...well, that's another topic altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment