Thursday, February 12, 2009

Why Valentine's Day Sucks




Valentine's Day is around the corner, so I wanted to share a few thoughts about that.

I have a major love/hate thing going on with Valentine's Day. It's a very bittersweet topic for me.

I happen to resent Valentine's Day. At this moment, anyway.

You know why? Because it takes something that should occur regularly as a normal part of a loving relationship, and makes it seem like it's fine to only designate one special day to be especially romantic, intimate, loving, and/or affectionate, etc.

It's as if this one day is supposed to absolve all the other 364 days when you went through the motions and basically took your significant other for granted.

It's basically turned into an 'out' for all the multitudes of emotionally stunted men to only have to be forced to contribute to a relationship on that one day.

Hmph. Valentine's Day. My ass.

It makes a mockery of true love. I hate it.

And it's only two days away.

Ugh. I'm in utter disgust over the whole thing this year.

But you know what the damnable misery of it all is? It's that I feel left out because I can't participate in it this year.

Yes, I said it. Fine, whatever.

It's still a goddamn facade for so many people. On the other side of the coin, it is a facade that I relish deep down inside--because I truly am a lover of love, despite how much I hate what it often does to you.

In all fairness, my disdain for the day has as much to do with my own shortcomings as anything else. I have utterly horrific judgment when it comes to picking the right women.

That said, V-day still sucks.

Stupid flippin Valentine's Day.

*disclaimer: in the event someone (who is not in a relationship) that I care about and have interest in should suddenly declare their love for me--making my Valentine's Day awesome--I reserve the right to declare invalid all of the above!

No comments:

Post a Comment